ITTO at CBD COP10
Within the framework of the International Year of Biodiversity 2010, ITTO has been particularly active in promoting the conservation and sustainable use of forest biodiversity in the tropics, in collaboration with member countries and partner institutions. ITTO is presenting much of this work in the following series of events during the 10th Conference of the Parties (COP 10) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) in Nagoya,Japan from 18-29 October 2010.
1) Friday 22 October - COP 10 Side Event at 16h30 - 18h00, Building 1, 3rd floor, room 130: Biodiversity Conservation in Tropical Forests. A debate on the ITTO/IUCN Guidelines for the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity in tropical timber production forests. Scientists, forest managers, private sector and NGO/CBO representatives will participate. A report will also be presented on the results of the International Conference on Biodiversity Conservation in Transboundary Tropical Forests held in Quito, Ecuador, in July 2010. Please see the attached announcement for further information.
Event link and flyer download: http://www.itto.int/workshop_detail/id=2415
2) Monday 25 October - Parallel Event, 10h00 - 17h00 at ANA Crowne Plaza Grand Court Hotel Nagoya: International Workshop on REDD+: A New Framework for Conservation of Tropical Forests - Monitoring, Biodiversity and Practices. A full day event organized by the Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute of Japan (FFPRI) and ITTO. Please see the attached announcement for further information, and please register at:
https://www3.convention.co.jp/redd2010/en/index.html (in English) or at https://www3.convention.co.jp/redd2010/jp/index.html (in Japanese).
3) Tuesday 26 October - COP 10 Side Event at 18h15 - 19h45, Event Hall, Building 1, 1st Floor: A 360o View of Forests: People, Biodiversity, Carbon and More. Organized by CBD, ITTO and UNFF Secretariats, the event will discuss strategic collaboration under the International Year of Biodiversity 2010 and the International Year of Forests 2011. It will also include the signing of an MOU between ITTO and UNFF.
Event link and flyer download: http://www.itto.int/workshop_detail/id=2416
4) Wednesday 27 October – Signing of MOU between ITTO and the Government of Japan to facilitate funding of biodiversity related project(s).
ITTO has also been invited to make presentations at the following events:
- Monday 18 October, 13h15-14h45, Shirotori Hall, Bldg.4, 1st floor: The Role of Forests in Conservation of Global Biodiversity - From Japan to the World. A side event organized by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forests and Fisheries of Japan.
- Thursday 21 October, Ecosystem and Climate Change Pavilion of Rio Conventions: Forest Biodiversity Day organized by the Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF): a) 10h00-11h15: Launching of World Atlas of Mangroves (followed by press conference) b) 15h00-16h15: The Potential of Forest Landscape Restoration to Achieve the Rio Convention Objectives (organized by the GPLR); c) 18h00 - 19h15:The REDD+ Hour: Environmental Safeguards and REDD+ (organized by the UN-REDD)
- Wednesday 27 October, 13h15-14h45, Room 235A, Bldg. 2, 3rd floor: Poverty Alleviation and Biodiversity Conservation. A side event organized by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)